Abscess Hollywood

By rockmycasbah85
So about a week ago I got an abscess on my jaw. If you don't know what that is, then look it up online (it's very disgusting). While the abscess was very painful and slightly horrifying, the healthcare system was a bit more shocking.

I'll start out by saying that when I was a little boy and I would get sick all my mom would have to do is call up the doctor and make an appointment for me to see the doctor. The doctor would fix me and make me feel all better.

Not today. In fact I was referred to a medical group of doctors after finding out I could NOT go to the emergency room without first paying out of pocket for at least 1,000 of my deductible. The medical group consisted of 3 doctors, none of which could see me the same day. While dealing with the 16 yo girl on the phone who kept saying things like,

"Yeah i don know what to tell you, like the doctor is really bisEEE today and he like can't see you,"

I started to cry. I realized that nothing in LA happens at the speed you want it to and I know this (I was once stuck in traffic for 5.5 hours). In fact, it took me calling back and crying on the phone to get to speak to a nurse who calmed me down and let me know about something called "urgent care." This is like a doctor on demand that takes place after hours. You simply pay your co-pay and the doctor sees you.

The procedure I had was quite painful, and very quick. Now I am on tons of antibiotics and my face is back to normal.

The startling realization from this was that when you have health insurance, you really don't have insurance against anything. You aren't protected from having to pay out of pocket for insanely over-priced procedures or will you actually be able to see a doctor. Let's hope someday things will get back to the way they were when I was a little kid.

All I want is a band aid, a lolipop, and someone to tell me everything is going to be alright.

Abscessingly Yours,
Chris
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Nel December 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    Doctor's scare me. Well...except maybe the sexy ones...they intrigue me. lol But yeah, I don't look forward to any doctor visits and it's all because of the procedures and waiting and forms and payments and tons of other things that probably hurt more than what actually was bothering me to begin with! LOL

Something to say?